POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Constrained motion : Re: Constrained motion Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Constrained motion
From: Micha Riser
Date: 4 Oct 2002 08:24:00
Message: <3d9d8860@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> In article <3d9b20ac@news.povray.org>, Micha Riser <mri### [at] gmxnet>
> wrote:
>
>> If the string remains taut the part of the force that is colinear with
>> the string will get compensated. In other words the particle will always
>> move in the plane perpendicular to the string! This means that all you
>> have to do is to project your force into this plane.
>
> Not quite...if you move it along a straight line in the direction of
> force, the "string" will get longer and longer with time. You need to
> move it along a curved path:

Yes, I did not think at this. While the force and also the velocity is
always perpendicular to the string, you need to correct the error made by
the Euler method.

I have digged out my sliding macro and adapted it to run with POV-Ray 3.5.
You can find the source and some examples in p.b.s-f. There I use trace to
place the slider on the surface again after it has moved. You could use a
similar thing in your case: trace against the imaginary sphere that limits
the orbit of the particle.

I have made a pendulum animation (see p.b.animation) with exactly this way.
The friction force is still as if it would move on the sphere... so it is
probably not realistic in that respect.

- Micha

--
objects.povworld.org - The POV-Ray Objects Collection
book.povworld.org    - The POV-Ray Book Project